Sunday, March 22, 2009

f.g.g. interview - Molly Godlewski/

well hows this... the usual format is getting boring. i don't want to repeat the same questions w/ every person. so how about i ask you a question and we try to bottom post them so i can just copy and paste when we're done and we'll just go back and forth, rather than having a static format flooded with a sense of ennui? eh?

so... let's start with name/aliases: who are you?
(what's your biker number)


Well that sounds just Dandy.

My name is Molly, some people call me 'Mozzie' when I was a rookie I was obsessed with anything the color pink so a long while ago a few people called me pink.. creative, uh? My current number is 6022.. I've had the numbers 19, 26 (too sick) and 34 at other companies.

What else ya got?



are you a chicago original?

I grew up in Oak Park, a suburb about 9 miles west of the loop.
At seventeen years of age I moved into Chicago proper and have lived in a few different neighborhoods. Humboldt Park being my favorite.

okay. so backing up a bit... how did you end up with a 4 digit biker
number? is that typical for your company?


Yes, indeed it is typical of my company. Everyone at Dynamex has a 4 digit biker number. I'm confident in surmising it's due to our nextel radios - the last 4 digits of my direct connect are 6022.


haha. what are you riding now?


My current work bike is an older Soma Rush. There's a silly anecdote about how I got the frame and fork for "free": It was 2004 and I was on my way to work when suddenly I found myself sprawled on my back in the middle of the street. I had been T-boned by a woman coming out of an alley. I was surprisingly unharmed but the KHS was badly damaged. She drove me and the bike to Upgrade and tried to convert me to Christianity during the trip.. claiming it was "God's plan / fault" she hit me that morning. The woman agreed to pay for the new frame; gave me her information and left the shop. The bible thumper ended up fighting me tooth and nail - even getting her son to call and harass me once she found out how much it would cost her (more than 50 dollars) Thus adding another reason for why I'm a proud atheist.
I take responsibility for my actions.

I have a few others: a Planet X Cross, Lemond road equipped with Campy, Fuji Track Pro in the works.. I plan to race ONLY at the velodrome, a vintage Puch road racing bicycle with Campy 12 speed and perhaps a Specialized MTB if I ever end up picking it up from my friend Josh.


so with all of these lovely bikes, do you race?


I do. I belong to a team comprised mainly of messengers, ex-
messengers and general bad asses: The Chicago Cuttin'
Crew.

This is our second year as a team and the first year I
actually trained outside of riding for work, so I'm
much more confident. Being a messenger prepares you for
sprints but doesn't give you much in the way of
endurance, not as much as you'd think.. Maybe if
you're working the car board?
Anyhow, I want to focus more on track this upcoming season.

Our team is planning to host a women's track clinic in
May. Unfortunately there's a noticeable disparity
between the men and womens races.. An average Cat4 mens race
will have up to 40 racers where as the womens Cat4's
will have maybe 5 or 6 racers. It can be quite
discouraging/ intimidating if you're a new woman to the
sport, let's face it.. it's a boys club.
Hopefully with more women based events and clinics we can
reach out to the fast females out there.. I know they're
out there!

[short time lapse in emails]

just wanted to finish up that interview. hopefully you got my last question. if not...
any last words?
btw, i saw your picture in cog... apparently you're getting pretty famous.

cheers-

-gene

i'm sorry, i don't think i got your last question.
not fabulous at speaking off the cuff, especially after work.
so these "last words" you ask of me.. i think i'll pass.

everyone is in Cog, i'm nothing special.

see you around the Frog.
have a lovely weekend dear, take care.

-Molly


thanks again Molly!!!

No comments: